Going off what my colleague Andy said, Rivendell has worked well for us but
I won't paint quite so rosy a picture about the useability. For starters,
Linux itself can be a barrier, even though we use Ubuntu whose UI is
relatively similar to Apple (the collegiate laptop standard). Second, we
jury-rig an automation mode on top of it, so users can play songs ad-hoc or
tell the machine operate autonomously when they leave. I'll spare you the
details unless someone asks, but it required both config and source code
changes to get right from a useability standpoint. And when a useability
failure means hours of dead air, it's important to get it right.

Luckily, Rivendell is open source, so we can make modifications to it as
necessary and also write scripts to interface with it. For example, I doubt
a closed-source solution would let a custom script change the SQL out from
under it, but that's exactly how our automated lyrics scanning program tags
songs as explicit. We also have a script that logs to Spinitron (which is
also recommended for college radio, the one caveat being that the user
management backend doesn't scale well to the hundreds of users you'll have
in a few years).

I'm happy to elaborate on our setup if anyone cares, but the big picture is
this: Rivendell requires, and permits, some customization and maintenance
to get right. It's not plug-and-play, but in return, it won't lock you out.

Thanks,

Max Goldstein
Operations Director
WMFO Medford