Without intending to start any religious wars, I'm more familiar with a
Debian base so I tend to get confused by pacman and yum/yast.  So in a
nutshell:

Ubuntu 12: Unity likes to crash and freeze you out depending on your
hardware.  VNC connections are useless due to really bad composited
desktop setups (I actually like Ubuntu and its my main dev machine
although I recently switched to Ubuntu Gnome after trying to like Unity
for at least the past year or so).

Ubuntu also has issues with the Rivendell GPIO driver for Measurement
Computing, I could never figure out why.

Debian 6: Rock solid, looks a bit dated in its default clothes.  Really
hard to get working on modern hardware without going backports for
kernels.  I use this in my main on air studios and my only reason for
not using it is the hardware support for the modern stuff.

Debian 7: Not even officially released yet but still really stable.  If
compiling from source Riv 2.1.4 has issues with some undefined types,
I'm not sure when it was fixed but V2.4+ compile fine.  Only downside is
the GPIO drivers for measurement computing don't work (yet).

I use Debian 7 with Gnome shell, it works fine with VNC which is nice.
It also looks quite fancy and minimalist which suits my studios.

Either way, like everyone else has said, if you can't use the appliance
distro, use what you're familiar with as you'll have to maintain it
yourself (quite easy with the Tryphon repos).