Thanks for the kind words Alan. I'm not sure about a bunch of that sed
line. It must have come from a google search. But the parts I do recognize
(because they work in sed and in vi) are the s/.../.../g parts. Those are
search and replace statements. The second one "s/[a-zA-Z&;]//g" looks for
all alpha characters and replaces them with nothing. So if the grep line
returns "Saskatoon Crazy Heavy Snow -40C" that search and replace will
strip out the alpha characters leaving only -40.
Have a great day,
Robert