I've got an ugly script (no loops) that does this
http://www.radiofree.ca/recentlyplayed.php

Here's the top 20 lines of it.
Let me know if you'd like the rest.

while true
do

artist=`tr "%^" "\n" </home/robert/scripts/nn.temp|grep -a ZZ|sed s/ZZ//g|
sed '/./,/^$/!d'`
album=`tr "%^" "\n" </home/robert/scripts/nn.temp|grep -a XX|sed s/XX//g
|sed '/./,/^$/!d'`
song=`tr "%^" "\n" </home/robert/scripts/nn.temp|grep -a QQ|sed s/QQ//g
|sed '/./,/^$/!d'`
asin=`tr "%^" "\n" </home/robert/scripts/nn.temp|grep -a ZX|sed s/ZX//g
|sed '/./,/^$/!d'`
if [ "$artist" ]
  then

        cat /dev/null >/home/robert/scripts/nn.temp
        artist40=$artist39
        artist39=$artist38
        artist38=$artist37
        artist37=$artist36