On Monday 29 April 2013 12:52:20 pm Wayne Merricks wrote:
> Its possible to use ssh tunnels to achieve this if I've understood the
> docs correctly.  Rivendell would then in theory connect to localhost on
> 3306 and the ssh tunnel would forward through to the other server.

 I do this for  my imap servers all the time, which is why if you check the
 headers, my e-mail or posts always originate in Akron, Ohio, no matter
 where in the world ( literally ) I really am.

 There are some caveats, though. The connecting TTY needs to stay up,
 else the tunnel collapse without some additional ssh tricks.
 Although the connection looks local, it's not. It is across the network,
 though the daemon will never see it.

 In this case, the command would be
 ssh -L 3306:localhost:5526 destination
 where destination is the machine name of the mysql server machine. ( or IP )
 The authorized user then supplies the password, and the forward is established.
 Or, you pre-set the auth keys in the appropriate files.
 The connection then looks local from both ends of the tunnel.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

"My weight is perfect for my height -- which varies"