If it's only an file server, why does it need Rivendell daemons running
on it? Wouldn't those run on the workstations?

I believe I just found Debian 7's Achilles heel: you can't compile
gpio-1.1 on it (it says the kernel isn't supported).

Since I need gpio on this particular machine, I'm going to try something
else (Ubuntu?). CentOS 5 won't talk to the Audioscience card or the GPIO
card, and CentOS 6 won't even boot.

I may end up having to use an old motherboard insteasd of this new one.

Rob