We've done this, but perhaps not the most eloquent way. Here is basically how
we do it:

We have programming on one of the Aux logs loaded items we need to substitute
for things we are playing on our FM that we can't play on a public stream.  We
have a macro cart at the end of each of these break-away segments that will
return the public stream to a normal simulcast.

In the main FM broadcast log is a "break-away" macro cart that will break away
anytime there is anything we can't, or don't want to play on the public stream.

Because our Rivendell is taking FULL advantage of jack-audio, those macro carts
simply patch our public stream from one log player to the other to do the break
away and sends a play command to the aux log to start it.  The rejoin macro
simply stops the aux log and rejoins normal programming.  If you are not using
Jack-audio, perhaps you are using an outboard audio switcher instead that you
can control with Rivendell (We also have a Broadcast Tools 8x2 unit that works
wonderfully with Rivendell).

So far we haven't used this as much as originally planned as we currently only
stream local sporting events to the public (we aren't licensed to play the
music on the web that we play on the FM the rest of the time), so I'd have to
say we don't use it as heavily as you are planning, but it does work for us.
One of the problems you might have is keeping track of the commercial traffic
for the Aux log in your traffic system that might not have the ability to
handle this well.

PS:  I even have a nice hot-button on one of the system panels that will
manually break and rejoin the public stream.  Since it also toggles it's
function/label (and color) anytime the macros are called, it works as a quick
visual indicator of whether the stream is joined or in break-away mode.