For anyone who - like me - cannot get Darkice compiled nor installed from the tryphon repo with mp3 and aac support - dependancy problems - this is how I got it to work.

1. Do a fresh install of Debian with ONLY SSH and utilities.
2. wget and dpkg -i darkice, libaac, libfaac and libmp3 form here
http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/oldstable/main/binary-i386/package/darkice-full squeeze http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/package/darkice-full wheezy
3. apt-get install libasound2
4. if still any uninstalled dependancies do apt-get -f install
5. apt-get install darksnow (if you like it, I do)

Now you can start installing Gnome / XFCE etc , RD, Jack and so on.

Open terminal, give the darksnow command and fill in the details, works with any codec !