Chris,
the audio you are dealing with is going to be challenging to deal with on a straight normalisation basis.

Normalisation just sets the levels based on the electrical signal.

Loudness is determined by what that signal is composed of and what the processing people call density.

A single voice will be a lot less powerful than a rock band, given the same normalisation.

You can set the levels by auditioning each track. Not that big a deal

And/Or you can have some sort of audio processor that irons out the audio going to the transmission chain.

Spoken word is a challenge, especially if there is to be some preservation of the nuances in the voice that a good story teller uses for dramatic effect.

The kind of processing they use on AllHitMusic stations will destroy all of that.

Start with the audio you have and grade it using the same speakers at the same level and listening to the comparative loudness of each track and making adjustments.

Jack and Jammin produce a great result, but you may have some outboard processor available. I always liked the Gentner Prism, but there are other more recent ones others may recommend.

If you get the playout levels right you may be surprised how little you need to do after that.

regards

Robert Jeffares
Thames
New Zealand