If could also use an audio switcher (which can also be nicely controlled by
Rivendell), I've been using the GPIOs from a Broadcast Tools ACS 8.2 (8 input
by 2 output audio switcher) that also has 16 GPIs and GPOs plus a Silence
Sensor that interacts with Rivendell nicely.  I've been using it all with good
success.  I have a remote broadcast setup using a Telos Z/IP-One that also can
transmit GPIOs across an Internet link and have it set up to do functions like
"Go live after next event", "Return to Automation", that also turns on tally
LED's at the remote site that say things like "You will go live next" and "you
ARE live on the air".  It all works very well except for my recent buggy macro
issues I reported about a couple of weeks ago, but none of that seems to be
related to GPIOs, just timing bugs in Rivendell.

So the switcher is about $1000 USD, but since they have been made for a long
time, they (or their earlier version "SS-8.2") are seen out on the used market
from time to time too.  For us it been a "one box, does lots of nice things"
solution.  http://www.broadcasttools.com/view_product.php?pid=145

For those who are still wanting to roll your own, I would think it would be
nice if it could use the Axia protocol that seems to be somewhat integrated
into Rivendell, as once you master that you could also control lots of other
Axia compatible products too.  I don't know much of this as in if you need some
sort of Axia master device to make it all work or not.