For some reason (as I would expect your method would be correct), I found you
*don't* put the "\" before the "!" at the end.

Also make sure the rdairplay had enough time to not only start up but to load a
log to play before issuing the PN command.  In my case (but then I'm running on
some old surplus Pentium-4 "semi-server-class" machines, and am starting up
three stream encoders too), I have to wait closer to 20 seconds for my startup
script to reliably work.

Also beware that if the Rivendell daemons load in the wrong order (caed &
ripcd), then some things like this will work but others won't.  I was
scratching my head on this for quite a while last year.

>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:59:48 +0100

>From: Alessio Elmi <alessio_e...@hotmail.com<mailto:alessio_e...@hotmail.com>>

>To: User discussion about the Rivendell Radio Automation System

> <rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org<mailto:rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org>>

>Subject: [RDD] Rivendell Startup script after login

Therefore I wrote a file startup.sh which is recalled by "Startup

Application" menu in gnome. It is responsible of starting Jackd,

launching RDAirPlay (and RD daemons) and play the first track of the

loaded log. Something like this

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/jackd -R -ddummy -r44100 &

sleep 5

/usr/bin/rdairplay &

sleep 5

/usr/bin/rmlsend PN\ 1\!

It needs to be extended with other applications (processing, encoder,

stream etc) but it fails in "rmlsend" step. Can you guess why? If I

give that last line in the terminal it works ok, but it fails during

startup process.

I added 'echo' for debugging and I know it reaches that last line. It

simply doesn't produce results.

Can you help me?

Thank you

Alessio