the cause of this problem is likely detected :

Recently we set the automatic creating of the log for the next day - which is set up in RDCatch - over from a workstation to the server that has the sound files and the database on it. Creating of next days log used to take about 50 minutes (!)over a gigabit network on a dual core, on the server itself this only took a fraction of that time

As the rotating of the log is also done on the DJ station, over the network, we suspect this to be the cause of the slow operation and the silence. We plan to switch the log by Gerrits bash script on short notice on the server itself and suspect this to be solved.

As I see many posts on slow mySQL operation these might be related to this silence, but I am just guessing now