That is essentially how Rivendell works.

One server has the mySQL database, and the library /var/snd, and may
also be the playout machine, or any other purpose machine, and you can
hang as many workstations off the end of it as your network will allow.

One library/database can serve more then one station with the only
caveat being that mySQL needs to be on a machine with good spec, and the
network needs to be reasonably fast.

Saying that there are users with workstations on the end of VPN's quite
some distance from the server.

In my case I have a production machine which delivers audio to a central
server which holds a master database /var/snd and two clones in seperate
towns.

In fact there are several production machines. We use the 'dropbox'
function to get audio to the right place at the right time.

You can set Rivendell up any way that works for you. The linux platform
is extremely powerful, and simple to use.

Robert Jeffares
Big Valley Radio