Easier than you think.

pastebin.com/u/MezzFA0

In there is a full guide for JACK, Rotter and Liquidsoap all with startup scripts on Ubuntu

or just this link for the liquid soap config:

http://pastebin.com/ziNEKF03

But the only things you need to do are:

#Get an input stream (darkice auto grabs from line in if I remember rightly so I'm assuming ALSA in):
liveStream = (input.alsa(id="liquidsoap"):source(1,0,0))

#id can be anything you want, source(1,0,0) is 1 audio, 0 video and 0 something else I've forgotten so this would be mono #You might have to take the stereo stream with source(2,0,0) and then mono it with:
#liveStereo = (input.alsa(id="liquidsoap"):source(2,0,0))
#liveMono = mean(liveStereo)

#Here do any processing to the stream you want, you could silence detect:
emergencyFile = mksafe(single("/var/audio/emergency/silentalarm.mp3"))
#you need to obviously make and put a silentalarm.mp3 in that location or somewhere else accessible
# Silence Detection, plays after 30 seconds of silence
liveStream = strip_blank(liveStream, length=30.0)

#Tell it what to do when its silent (track_sensitive=true will wait for the track to end before cutting back to the main stream): liveStream = fallback(track_sensitive=false, [liveStream, emergencyFile])

#You could have a tracklist instead of an emergency file, you can even have a ruled tracklist that will play idents on the hour, pick random songs from directories etc but I've never attempted that

#Or how about compression:
liveStream = compress(ratio=3.0, attack=38.0, release=85.0, threshold=-20.0, knee=0.5, gain=8.0, liveStream)

#What if you need a limiter:
liveStream = limit(ratio=3.0, attack=38.0, release=85.0, threshold=-3.0,knee=0.5, liveStream)

#Finally send it off to icecast
output.icecast(%mp3(stereo=false, samplerate=22050, bitrate=32),liveStream, description="Describe me", genre="Give me a genre", url="My Website", name="Title Me", mount="what mount point to use", host="localhost", password="my secret password", port=8014)

Theres tons of sound processing you can do. You can even automate an entire DJ free station by setting up schedule rules and other stuff. The full API is here:
http://savonet.sourceforge.net/doc-svn/reference.html

But it is a bit cryptic, I still sit there smashing my face on the wall when it should work but just doesn't.

Oh you'll need to save this config in a file convention is blah.liq then you can run liquidsoap /path/to/config/blah.liq

You can also run liquidsoap -c /path/to/config/blah.liq to get it to check your config and spew out any errors.

Regards,

Wayne