>From: Alan Smith <alansm...@flinn.com>

> A couple of times I have had the system that I recently set up get
> "confused" in RDAirplay on the log.  In some cases it seems to have
> jumped out of place, or most recently, it just "forgot" half the day.

Yep, me too.  I consider Rivendell's interaction with the MySQL database by far
the biggest downside of Rivendell as in that is what I consistently have
trouble with (other than steps in macros being skipped over, which is probably
related anyway).  Oh and my RDAirplay still occasionally crashes around
midnight when attempting chain to the next day's log, but I have a silence
sense that catches it and relaunches RDAirplay.  On the plus side the actual
audio playout engine (CAED) operating through Jackd has been totally amazing
rock solid for me and I don't even use those expensive ASI sound cards.

So our staff always checks to see that a log is complete to the end of the day
anytime a log is edited or created as sometimes it is not.  I also have
troubles with cart numbers disappearing from buttons on RDAirplay's button
widget from time to time.  (Note: I hate ALL databases, do any exist that are
solid and reliable without requiring expensive service contracts with their
manufacturers to keep them that way?)

So perhaps related to all this, since I am not using the pre-configured
Appliance, what possible special settings for the mysql database might improve
things for Rivendell? What db engine (such as innoDB or myISAM) should I be
using? For me, the mySQL server resides on the same machine as all the rest of
Rivendell, I do NOT use the Win32 programs (don't trust them due to version
differences that usually exist with my main RD install), but instead do remote
X sessions (using Xming) to Windows machines to bring up remote views of
auxiliary RD programs from the main Rivendell machine.