Did you compile Rivendell on your Slackware system or simply install some
binaries from somewhere?  If the later, remember that Slackware package
management lacks dependency checking (but somehow in practice this doesn't turn
out to be nearly the problem you would expect for Slackware), so the "ldd"
(example "ldd  /usr/bin/rdlibrary") tool is useful to check to see if you have
the right libraries (and versions) installed for that binary executable.  Also
depending on your Alsa device, often the channels are not labeled (or function)
like they say, so you might need to play around with some of the mixer settings
(like ALL OF THEM) to make sure you don't have something turned off.  Any
chance you have more than one Alsa device on your system?  Also make sure you
audio outputs are set right for each program in rdadmin, as again, they might
default to outputs other than what you are using.  Not sure if Slackware uses
Pulse Audio these days, but if so that is yet another place where some volume
controls exist, but I'm not sure if this would affect Rivendell or not.
Finally make sure the caed daemon is in fact running and/or isn't spitting out
error in the system log as this is what handles all the audio routing (correct
me if I'm wrong).  In fact the system log (is it /var/log/syslog under
Slackware?) might be helpful as Rivendell tends to spit out lots of information
about what it is doing there.

Seems to me that Slackware might be a good choice for Rivendell assuming you
don't mind compiling it all yourself at each install/upgrade, other than the
fact that most of the rest of us run something else so often can't be as much
help.    So why such an old version of Rivendell?