Anyone, correct me if I am wrong, but the recommended setup is to have the
RD PCM streams in /etc/asound.conf in order to "assign" the card to
Rivendell, and configure your own .asoundrc so that it either provides
"null" output as default to your apps or route it to an additional sound
card.

If you set Rivendell in your .asoundrc, your desktop manager (KDE, Gnome,
etc.) will likely still pick up the default sound card and then "hog" it.

On 13 August 2014 11:46, David Weber <dweber1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can login. I can  rip cds  into carts and I can import into carts
> what I cannot do is hear any sound
>
> by the way if I put asound.conf into  /etc my sound system complains that
> it is keeping the sound from working so instead I have a .asoundrc  but
> still no sound
>
> David Weber   dweber1941@gmail

Sébastien Leblanc