So I think I figured out what was the problem for me (perhaps others too)

It was all in the ordeal I have to go through to get the Rivendell daemons to
load correctly.

On computers rrunning "jack" and with fully loaded data from our actual station
loaded into its database (a few thousand audio files, a couple hundred macros,
and a few weeks of logs), when I attempt to run rdairplay without starting the
daemons first, I get a dialog box called "Missing Daemons" that says "Unable to
start Rivendell daemons!".  What actually ends up happening is that "caed"
loads but "ripcd" does not.  If I then attempt to run rdairplay again, the rest
of the daemons load and all is okay.  This has been a problem for us since we
started with Rivendell a few years ago.  So to deal with it I had written a
script entitled "start-rivendell" that starts the damons manually before
starting rdairplay (as well as starting some stream encoders and other things
we use with Rivendell).  This script worked well until Rivendell version 2.10.

Note that in starting the daemons yourself, I previously determined that the
order that you start them matters!  "Caed" must be started first, then "ripcd".
 Otherwise you get this exact problem of macros not running.  I had this
problem a couple of years ago, but forgot about the cause.

So my script simply started "caed" then "ripcd" immediately afterwords.

It turns out this no longer is good enough.  Now I have to insert a "sleep 2"
(2 second delay) statement in my shell script after starting caed, I guess for
it to "settle in" for awhile somehow before starting "ripcd".  Otherwise
"ripcd" would still start up, but the result would be that macros would not run.

Note this entire macro execution feature of Rivendell has been unstable for us.
 Typically some steps in the macros tend to get skipped over unless I put some
"SP" (sleep) commands between them.  Of course this make many macros behave
"sluggishly", but at least reliably.  But then often with updates to Rivendell,
all these timing requirements in our macros tend to change in that I often have
to add sleep statements in new areas between commands but can remove them in
others.  This has been a pain because with each Rivendell update I have to test
each macro to see if it still runs reliably and make adjustments to it if it
doesn't.  We use a lot of macros in Rivendell and love the power they provide
(when they work!).

So in summary to others: load "caed" wait awhile then load "ripcd" and see if
everything else runs okay.