I also don't have any trouble with USB sound card (I use a Presonus Audiobox
1818VSL).  I also use Jack Audio.  The thing about Jack audio is that you can
normally use just one card with it because it demands that all the clocks are
kept locked together, which then allows all sorts of nice things like mixing
streams together.  That said you can dump other devices into Jackd using
resamplers ("alsa_in" and "alsa_out"), but with an overhead and performance
cost.

So my question is that, when I use Jack, I can't seem to add any other sound
device to Rivendell.  For example, it would be nice to use the computer's built
in sound device as a "cue" output and I don't care if it is part of jackd or
not.    The device shows up in ALSA just fine (it is device #2, as device #0 is
a Loopback, and device #1 is the AudioBox 1818VSL), yet rdadmin on that host
can't find it anywhere.

I have an old laptop as the only computer that happens to have Rivendell
installed (just a test system) without jackd running.  I'll try adding a USB
sound device to it and see if I can get it to show up as a usable choice in
Rivendell.  Does anyone actually have multiple ALSA devices running in
Rivendell (either with or without Jackd)?