Jack will present you with outputs for your sound card providing it can see it. Usually stuff like:

System:playback_1 .. n (Outputs)

and

System:capture_1 .. n (Inputs)

When you load stereo tool (again providing it appears in jack) you then get extra bits like:

stereo_tool:in/out_1 .. n

With Riv running you also get Rivendell entries. So the idea is you connect up rivendell:playback_0/1 to system:playback 1/2. This goes to your desk on a physical wire. From your desk out you hook system:capture_1/2 into stereo_tool:in_1/2.

Then potentially stereo tool:out_1/2 to system:playback_3/4 which goes off to your encoder on physical wires.

Wayne Merricks
The Voice Asia