The idea of running Rivendell on the Pi could be quite appealing for
multi-station radio groups... under certain conditions.

If I had the time and money here's how I'd do it.

BUILD A BIG BULLETPROOF SERVER-
Use server class hardware, redundant drives, lots of RAM and a big UPS to
run the official Broadcast Appliance server version from Paravel.  That
would hold the /var/snd audio and mySql database.  And I'd put in the
professional Audio Science audio card(s) into the server machine. (or if
you've got a AOIP plant the network audio drivers would be on that server
machine). GPIO and Switcher cards could also go there for satellite uses.

The Pi's would then just connect to the server as individual hosts. They
could be setup to use the Core Audio Engine on the server so their cheap
audio isn't a problem. I think you'd also be able to us the Pi's GPIO pins
to control starts/tallys from equipment in the studio

I'd mount the Pis behind the monitor in studio (could be touchscreens).
The only cables you'd need to run would be the Ethernet, power,
keyboard/mouse and any GPIO.

It'd be a lot more efficient to have a bunch of Raspberry Pis as thin
clients to the server than to try and build out whole machines for each
studio.  Keeping spares would be a lot easier too as you could keep fully
configured Pis or just a few configured SD cards handy. A swap would only
take a few minutes.

And at $40 you could put a Pi in about every office (Traffic, PD, Prod,
Engineering) to allow logs, music, and spots to be imported conveniently.

The overall system cost could be pretty low compared to a similar system of
that size from other automation vendors. (I'm thinking of products like
Enco1 http://www.enco.com/products/enco1.html)

Brad