I have built a couple machines using the latest CentOS 6 Appliance disk.
One of the things I noticed is when I give the shutdown command from the
desktop, it does not turn the computer off.  It shuts down everything
software wise, but I have to manually push the power button to kill power
in the computer.  I did a search of this on the Internet and found
recommendations  to change the /boot/grub/grub.conf file from "acpi=off" to
"acpi=force".  This seems to work as the computer now powers off when
shutdown.

My question is, will this change have any detrimental effect on Rivendell
and related programs?  I don't know much about acpi and what all it does,
other than it is some kind of power control.  I'm curious why the CentOS 6
installation defaults to this.  Wouldn't having the computer power off on
shutdown be a normally desired action?

Thanks for your comments,

Michael