On 10/23/2015 11:36 AM, Tom Van Gorkom wrote:

Questions:
  It's been said that production shouldn't be done on a Riv machine. Is that
still best advice even if it's not the on-air playout machine at the time?

 Production should never be done on a live on-air machine, Rivendell or
otherwise.

I am looking at Ardour as a possible Linux editor if I could make it talk
to the ASI card and use one card and one set of channels on the console.

 I like Audacity, but that's me.

Would I have to shut off Rivendell on that machine to use it? Any
suggestions?

 Most likely, unless you have an alternate sound path.
 That can get complicated.

Otherwise it looks like we keep a backup Riv machine ready in the backup
studio

 I can't recommend against that, regardless.
 Things fail at the most inopportune times, so it seems.

and use a Win7 machine with Audion 3.0 for recording and editing,
using more channels on the console or an audio switcher.

 You can do that.

If we go digital,
then routing the same console channels between machines would be easier.
Comments? Suggestions?

 Rivendell does LiveWire really well.
 Have you looked at that ?

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
                -- Beckett