Note that CentOS 7 uses systemd as well - so you're not really going to
escape it long term. It seems to be the future for most the major Linux
distros. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it down, I've
actually found I like it more than upstart or SysVinit - even in the server
use case. journalctl, udev, and all the other tie-ins work pretty well too.