I agree that the best piece-of-mind is usually obtained by just going with the
"turnkey" system the software manufacturer recommends/sells/supports.  This is
commonly done with most other radio automation/playout systems out there too.
Then there is no "shouting match" potential between whether a problem is with
the hardware vendor or the software vendor.

Also note that last time I asked, Paravel only offers payed-for, continuing
support on systems running their CentOS based turnkey software/OS install (I
completely understand why they limit themselves to this!)

That said, that isn't what I did.  Linux generally runs on just about anything.
 Mostly you might need to avoid any very new hardware pieces such as exotic new
video cards, hardware raid controllers, network interfaces, etc. that there
might not be Linux support for yet, so do your own research on any hardware you
are considering.  Generally systems running completely on true Intel based
hardware is well supported.  I personally would avoid many nVidia video
products because they insist on writing their own closed-source drivers, which
at times could potentially "quit working" reliably with certain other OS
upgrades.  Some other hardware manufacturers have gone down this road too at
times (like VIA, Broadcom, & ATI).  Again, do your own research.

The one station we have running Rivendell is STILL (after a few years now)
happily running on a single old Pentium 4 "semi-server-class" system, while
supporting a rather large amount of Jack audio clients/routing going on while
functioning reliably as a file server, an icecast server with three stream
encoders (but with very few clients attached at any one time), plus some remote
access and backup related services running on it at the same time.  Oh and I
think it only has 1-gig of memory, but I carefully manage it (I'd recommend a
little more).

Also if you are worried about getting hardware set up to run Linux, there are
several companies that you can get Linux (including Ubuntu) preinstalled on and
ready to go.  "System76" is one such company that you might not have heard of.