David,

There has been quite a number of improvements in rdimport with the
newest releases and it is much better then it used to be, but it still
at times can run  into issues.  The fact that there are a lot of poorly
created mp3's floating around and a lot of software that creates files
that are like an mp3 but which only partially comply with the format.
These types of things can make it challenging to create something
that'll work with everything 100% of the time.

Keep in mind that Rob's post started with:

> I built a Rivendell machine for WZBR AM 1410 a couple years ago when that

Rob's working with an older build of Rivendell.  It is entirely possible
that the files in question might import okay on the latest 2.11.0 build.