What I don't understand is the command to play being sent to two separate servers.

I don't have any experience with ASI cards to know if this index selector would make any difference unless as you said, you have multiple ASI cards similar to a lot of hardware devices or even the old ISA IRQ and address jumpers if you remember those.

I would be more tempted to work around your problem in reverse. Dump your old DB to your new host. Remove any rdadmin host that might conflict with this new machine and then just create a new host to match from scratch.

On 2016-03-01 19:20, Nick Andre wrote:
Should it in principle be possible, given the architecture of
Rivendell, to have two cards, each on its own system, with both
servers using the same MySQL database and each having /var/snd mounted
for playout? Theoretically I can just copy row for this host over to
the old server, changing CARD0 to CARD1 for the latters card entries,
and then say a prayer and start her up?

This would result in a command to play a cart having to be first sent
from the "client" to the primary server and then to the secondary
(new) server if the clients were configured to play on Card 1.

Also the AudioScience cards have an index selector on the card. Both
hosts have the index of the card selected to "1". Would this be
causing a conflict? I got the sense this was if you have multiple
cards installed in one host but I dont know if Rivendell uses this
information. New host comes up with "AudioScience 6685 [1]" and the
old host with "AudioScience 6585 [1]" (when installed on separate
databases).