Yes, I also do some of this kind of stuff.

Normally you would just use RD-Catch to get all the online sources.  But in our
case I needed to edit the content first (we only broadcast the 1st half of the
file), so I did a Linux "bash" script the uses tools like wget and mp3-split to
automatically get and cut things up, then used the command-line RD-import to
import what is left into a cart.  Then I used the Linux cron scheduler to
schedule this.  Hopefully you don't have to do all this, but you could if you
needed to.   My point here is that if Rivendell can't do something you need,
you can use some Linux tools behind it to get it done and even call it within
Rivendell if needed.

As far as intermixing your locally produces elements with your online
downloaded elements, I would try scheduling lots of carts around your online
elements that would just get skipped over if they weren't filled.  If you do
this, you probably need to schedule some sort of cleanup task (perhaps another
bash script that simply deletes the carts) so that you don't end of airing old
news if the cart never got filled.  Perhaps your whole news montage is more
organized than this such as a single local news cart after a national news cart
(perhaps with a local "intro" in front) is all you need so you won't have to
get so fancy.

The concept of "donut" carts (intro and outro, with empty space in the middle)
might work for you too (remember to set the seque point at a normally
ridiculous point to make a donut cart work, and turn off the auto fade mode for
it too). I wouldn't rely on making your staff do this to a cart that needs to
be replaced everyday however.

In any case let us know exactly what you wish to do and we should be able to
help you do it.