I had a discussion with a Rivendell user in western New Hampshire this morning -- not one of my clients -- who said he wished Rivendell had the ability to transfer files with metadata seamlessly from one server to another, as (he claims) Wide Orbit and NexGen do.

I mentioned that I wrote a couple of Perl scripts to do this (actually, one script handles files, while the other handles logs). I use the METADATA_DATETIME field in the CART table and the MODIFIED_DATETIME field in LOGS to determine which copy of a record is more recent, and synchronize accordingly. The only hitch is that it isn't possible to delete a log or cart, since the time stamp for a record is deleted with the record. If we need to delete something, we must delete it manually from both machines simultaneously. While that's not a problem with just two servers, it might be a challenge were we synchronizing a dozen of them.

What concerns me is upgrading to new versions of Rivendell and the need to go through both scripts to see if any changes have been made to the CART, CUTS, LOGS, or *_LOG tables that might break the scripts.

If a future database schema omits, say, METADATA_DATETIME, one or both scripts might break irreparably.

Is there a better way to solve the synchronization problem (say, through the Web interface)?

Doing a database backup/restore once a day and rsync'ing /var/snd, as some have suggested, is impractical.

I am curious how other RD users have approached this problem.

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",