Robert,

My experience is that the Rivendell caed process and the jackd process
need to both be running under the same numeric user ID. I've found that
in general it's most stable to start the jackd process from Rivendell
(using rdadmin -> "Manage Hosts" -> <hostname> -> "JACK Settings"). I've
set up a few systems this way and include a series of "JACK Clients to
Start" that configure the hardware audio devices. Finally, I use
jack-plumbing to maintain the connection graph so that one doesn't
*need* to use qjackctl in order to make and break connections.

More details on request, and also see the script pmw-jack-setup at
https://github.com/opensourceradio/ram/blob/master/usr/local/bin/pmw-jack-setup
for an example of what we use to set up hardware devices on a JACK-based
Rivendell machine.

Also, "jack_lsp -c" is a good way to see the connections at the command
line (without needing to launch qjackctl).

  ~David