I've been working on remote voice tracking and have something that sort of
works, but have run into a problem I wasn't expecting.

When I started out I thought the problem was going to be dealing with massive
.WAV files. This was solved by keeping a local copy
of /var/snd on the remote computer and using rsync to keep /var/snd in sync
with the host (new songs are downloaded from the
host and voice track carts are uploaded to the host).

What I wasn't anticipating was MySQL connectivity being an issue.

I loaded a voice track, just clicked "start", "record", "start", "save" and
that generated 9 pages of SQL queries.

For example, getting 15 fields from CUTS is 15 queries, not just a single query.

Does anyone see any unintended consequences of optimizing the SQL queries for
the voice tracking module
and possibly pre-loading some of the information rather than doing it in
realtime while playing cuts and recording?

Other than the annoying pauses caused by these queries, the remote voice
tracking works quite well using rsync
for all of the heavy lifting.

I'm sure smarter heads have already looked at this so I'm reaching out to the
list.

—
Patrick
patr...@scnv.net