Hi,

I do agree with what Andy's said.  To add a few thoughts:

1.  On the 44.1/48 question, the only time I'd use 44.1 in this day and
age is if 44.1 has already previously been set as a standard in a
facility or there is some other compelling reason to use 44.1 (for
example, some sound cards won't support 48, but in that case if you have
a sound card that won't do 48 my recommendation would be to find a
better sound card).  Otherwise use 48.  You can always convert down to
44.1 later if there is the need.

2.  While Rivendell does have the ability to store audio files in
compressed mp2 format, due to the fact that hard disk space is
relatively cheap these days, I'd stick with linear PCM.  No point
compressing those audio files.

3.  If you do - despite recommendations to avoid it - decide to use mp2,
then use the highest bitrate option

4.  It is certainly possible to do batch imports with Dropboxes and such
- where Rivendell will automagically import audio into its music library
/ database from either an audio file, ripping directly  from CD to the
library, etc.  You can do this and you'll end up with a functional music
library in Rivendell.  However it is worth considering that the best
sounding stations out there are the ones where a producer in a
production studio has gone through and listened to every track, set
things such as the segue and talk markers, custom-tweaked the audio so
it will sound best after it has gone through the audio chain being used
on air at the station, etc.  Of course this does take a skilled producer
- one who is intimately familiar with the sound of the station, what
effects the audio chain being used can have on the audio, and what
listens expect, etc.  It takes a lot of time and effort to go through
every track this way, while this used to be a standard practice in the
industry, these days many stations don't bother with the time and
effort.

Lorne Tyndale