Hi,

I think you're making this more difficult then it needs to be.

What I'd do:

-Have the audio coming from your remote on a separate channel on your
console in your on-air studio

-Have that channel set up so that Rivendell can turn that remote channel
on / off via GPIO's

-For your remote site gear, since you're going to have a computer
already (to be able to see the on-air machine RDAirplay via VNC) use a
Linux box, install a "remote" copy of Rivendell on it that includes your
music bed audio

-At your remote site connect your mic and your "remote computer" audio
into a small mixer (or if you use something like a Tieline
Commander/iMix or Comrex Access with the mixer add on, just use the
inputs on that).  If needed you can usually find inexpensive Bheringer
or Mackie's that have 4 to 8 channels that'll work for this type of
application

When you want to go live from the remote site, you can have the remote
computer send the RML back to your studio computer to trigger your GPO
to turn on your "remote" channel.  It can stop your playout from the
on-air studio Rivendell system or you could even have it set up that
when you want to go live from remote it'll insert an item with a "stop"
as the next item in the log (that is if you don't want to schedule the
breaks in the log before the remote, which might be easier).  Do the
mixing of the voice / bed at the remote site with the mixer you have
there (you can have that audio on the remote site's Rivendell box) and
send all that audio back to your studio.  When you want the studio to
resume playout send another RML down the pipe to turn the "remote"
channel back off and do a Play Next in Rivendell.  Your audio starts
back up coming from your on-air Rivendell machine.

The biggest concern would be if your network drops for some reason - you
could end up with dead air.  But the same situation could happen with
the setup you've described below.  As a backup it might be an idea to
tie it all into a silence detector which would - after a certain amount
of time - send your on-air machine a "play next" command in the event
that something like that happens.

Lorne Tyndale