On Wednesday 17 January 2018 06:14:53 pm Fred Gleason wrote:
> So, unfortunately, whatever we do it appears that *someone* is going to be
> ‘astonished’ after an upgrade to 2.18.x. Not ideal, but I don’t see any way
> around it.

 Re-invent the Slackware practice of moving the old file to
 filename.OLD on any upgrade if a conf file already exists.

 Go a tad further and throw up a notice if any file has been
 so moved, thus the operator can at least be aware.

 If we want to be really slick, also make a diff and in the warning
 a notice to check on...
 And toss up a list of the diff files thus created.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

There are people so addicted to exaggeration that they can't tell the
truth without lying.