Tim,

If you are running on a Debian based distribution - I've run into this
very issue on my LUbuntu machines - then the only way I've been able to
make Rivendell --> Jack --> Other Jack stuff work is to do a

sudo chmod -s caed rdcatchd ripcd

In which ever folder those 3 files are located.  On my Lubuntu machines
(compiled from source) they end up in:

/usr/local/bin/

But they might be in

/usr/bin/

The "s" flag is what causes the daemons to run as root, once removed
they'll run as the logged in user.

You'll need to modify your init script to ensure that Jack is running
before caed, otherwise caed will grab the sound card.  You'll also need
to ensure your init script sets up the /var/run/rivendell folder since
that'll vanish on a reboot.  At one point there was an init script
written for Debian-based builds which would do just this.

I know that Fred has previously pointed out that this isn't the correct
way to run caed - that it should be running as root and not as the
logged in user for security reasons. But when you're running caed as
root on a debian based system it is almost impossible to get it to talk
to jack and have it useful - since other applications (audacity, ardour,
etc) need to run as the logged in user and also need to see Jack.  I'm
not sure what the "correct" answer is.

Lorne Tyndale