I am trying to build Rivendell (2.18.2) on a debian 9 system from
source, and it is not working.  I think I need to install QT3, but
where  do I get it, etc?

./configure says:
checking for Qt... no
configure: error: *** Qt toolkit not found, unable to continue ***

The package libqt4-qt3support is installed.

I did a few symlinks to satisfy complaints about missing headers ..
in /usr/include:
ln -s qt4/Qt/qapplication.h .
ln -s qt4/QtCore .
ln -s qt4/QtGui .

so it gets past that, and fails with (excerpt from config.log) :

configure:16353: g++ -o conftest -INO   conftest.cpp -lqtruby4shared  -lSM
-lICE  -lX11 -lXext -lXt  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/cc5bFOLy.o: undefined reference to symbol
'_ZN12QApplicationD1Ev'
//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtGui.so.4: error adding symbols: DSO missing
from command line