Greetings JWJ,

Since you're starting your education with a new install, might I suggest
using the instructions here:
http://static.paravelsystems.com/rivendell-install/rivendell-install-rhel7.html
to install a new Rivendell system? This will get you a current (2.19.0)
version of Rivendell on a current version of CentOS.

Regardless of the Rivendell version, your experimenting *should* work.

One thing that stands out in your description is the apparent <Space>
character in your Log Template (rdadmin->Manage Services->Jones). Try
converting the space between "Jones" and "%m%d" to an underscore. It's a
nit-pick, but it'll matter down the line.

I also noticed the "Jones" user in rdadmin. There's no real need to add
a Rivendell user with the default setup. I consider Rivendell users a
more-or-less "advanced" topic, and recommend getting an installation
working before adding and using new users. The current installation
method will set up your Linux user ("rd") and your "Rivendell database
user" ("user").

Hope this helps get you to the next question!

  ~David Klann