On Apr 5, 2018, at 09:41, Cowboy <c...@cwf1.com> wrote:

> While that would eliminate the compile error, I don't think it
> would answer the question, which I think is more about understanding
> *why* this error is occurring, not how to work around it.

It’s primarily about dependencies and tool-chains. About 99% of the
documentation in Rivendell is written in DocBook 5. Rendering that into
convenient human-readable form (PDFs, web pages, man pages) requires
installation of a typesetting toolchain. It’s not all that difficult to do
(instructions are in the ‘INSTALL’ file), but it’s not commonly part of most
compiler setups and involves more than just installing a few -devel packages.
Hence, we pre-build the docs and package them in the tarballs posted at
http://rivendellaudio.org <http://rivendellaudio.org/>. If all one needs to do
is simply build Rivendell for a particular platform (as opposed to hacking on
it), that can then be done from those tarballs without needing the special
tools.

However, if after unpacking the tarball, the datestamp on one or more of the
documentation source files (located in ‘docs/‘) is updated (by modifying one of
the files, or even just touch(1)ing it), the build system will detect that and
want to rebuild the relevant portion of the docs on the basis of the ‘changed’
source. Hence, the errors about not being able to find various strangely-named
programs like ‘fop’ and ‘xsltproc’. Those are all part of the DocBook 5
typesetting toolchain.