On Jun 29, 2018, at 09:39, Hoggins! <fucks...@wheres5.com> wrote:

> So you're saying that changing database schema during Rivendell upgrades
> should also have changed the default charset/collation on the Rivendell
> DB, right ? If for whatever reason it's not the case and I need to
> change it manually in my.cnf, what values do I need to set ?

It’s not a schema change - rather, it’s a change in the way the code talks to
the DB. Previously, we’d just use whatever the default engine type, charset and
collation values were for the DB server. Starting with v2.18.0, we specify them
explicitly, overriding the server-side defaults. You can control this with the
following entries in rd.conf(5):

[mySQL]
Engine=MyISAM
Charset=latin1
Collation=latin1_swedish_ci

Generally, you do not want to go changing the ‘Charset=‘ or ‘Collation=‘
values. Depending on how your SQL backend is being managed, it can be useful to
be able to change the ‘Engine=‘ parameters. One of the major goals in current
work on the code is to enable proper I18N support, so eventually it will be
possible to specify charsets such as ‘utf8’.

If you are still seeing mojibake with v2.19.2, then I’m wondering if MariaDB is
messing with some deeper things (like forcing the *connection* type to be some
particular encoding).