Hi Dave
Just to clarify. This is the RRAbuntu downloaded from Sourceforge?
If it is from sourceforge it is close to 8 years old and uses an old
version of both Ubuntu Linux and Rivendell.

If you have another computer handy does the cd fire up and produce the
desktop and Demonstration of rivendell?

It could be the that RRAbuntu is too old and cant handle the secure boot of
the hard drive on the computer?
Many thanks
Geoff