Hi everybody

I'm Florent, formerly working in Tryphon which used to package Rivendell for Debian and Ubuntu, which became a really difficult task due to the need of supporting Qt3. Tryphon has closed last year, but here in France, I know plenty of users are using Rivendell every day with pleasure. They felt quite lonely when we decided to stop Tryphon, so I had the idea of a french group of Rivendell Users, involved in federating resources, ideas and competencies around the software suite. Rivendell-FR was born. It is still very small, but I'm sure it will grow ;)

And to begin with, I'm pleased to announce that Ubuntu packages are available for *testing*. Here is the procedure for installation :

1) add the repository

sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
wget -q -O - https://apt.rivendell-fr.org/release.asc | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb https://apt-rec.rivendell-fr.org/ bionic main contrib non-free beta"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rivendell-fr.list
sudo apt-get update

2) Install packages

sudo apt-get install rivendell rivendell-server

(don't worry, it downloads half the Internet. That is perfectly *normal* :D )

3) reboot in order to take the new group into account

sudo reboot

(it may be sufficient to logout and log in again, please let me know if you made the test)

4) restart rivendell service

sudo systemctl restart rivendell

(for a reason I still don't understand, my audio resources were empty if I did not restart the service)

At this point, almost everything should be functional.

DISCLAIMER !!!

For the time being, I did NOT compile libhpi, so audio science cards will NOT work with Rivendell. But well, it is still in beta. I'll keep on working on the debian/Ubuntu packaging now that I have something working.

I hope this will fill a gap. Well, at least on this side of the Atlantic see, I'm sure it will ! I hope this will help in testing the beta and release the final version. I'll try to produce packages for every releases. Please let me know if you have comments or requests concerning packaging.

For example, I suggest extracting pypad lib for the main sources, because, AFAIK, packaging of python libs on Debian and Ubuntu is much easier when it is alone, with its own source package. I'll give a try and let you know.

Best regards

Florent