Luckily... This is an installation in a short 1U server case. There is one
expansion slot that lays across the motherboard. So, the extra height the  the
adapter adds (i got the same one suggested here) is not a problem. The foot of
the card just hangs over the MB a little further.

The first few Rivendell systems i built (10 years ago) for a digital
environment used some garden variety USB to S/Pdif interfaces. They worked like
magic. Bits in, bits out. No place for coloration or level issues. 0 dBFS
stayed 0 dBFS. At some point the OS got upgraded and the drivers for S/Pdif got
lost in the shuffel. Had to switch from the $25 USB adapter to the very
expensive ASI card for no perceived performance advantage, except the drivers
were available.

But the one I'm building now is for a station that is all analog and they
provided the interface card. I just have to make it work. :)

Bill Putney
District 2 Commissioner - Port of Port Townsend
Chief Engineer - KPTZ
El Jefe de Contenido - Port Townsend Film Festival
Private Pilot-Single Engine Land | Airframe & Powerplant / Inspection
Authorization