Hi all,

at Aug 15 05:28 NZST [1728 0814 UTC]

two seperate Rivendell installations with no connection other than myself had a malware attack which set out to encrypt files and in once case have stopped the system, in the other case an operator noticed a number of errors and restarted the server which [we think]  thwarted the malware.

This message is in every directory

in a file "README_FOR_DECRYPT.txt"

All your important files are encrypted

    There is  only one way   to get your files back:  contact with us,  pay,  and get  decryptor software.
    We accept Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies.
    Also you can decrypt 3 files for test, its guarantee what we can decrypt your files.

    Contact information:

    primary email: masterkey...@tutanota.com
    reserve email: masterkey...@asia.com[root@rdhost

I am posting this because there will likely be others.

AFAICT it hits Gnome desktops.

I haven't located the malware yet, we are presuming it arrived attached to something. Possibly an email or possibly one of the syndicated programmes.

Neither of the machines hit are used for email.

Other local client machines have not been affected.

again as far as I can tell.

I am used to dealing with this occationally in Windows, this is new!

regards

Robert