Wherever possible, I run standalone Rivendell machines. The "server" is the "client".

I do this because with a standalone machine no network failure can make the radio station go silent.

With a client/server implementation, the audio is being transmitted in the form of data packets from the server to the client across a network. If something happens to the network -- say, the power supply of a switch or router fails -- the station goes silent. A standalone machine will keep running if its network goes away.

The fewer potential points of failure there are in a system, the more reliable it will be.

Rob

--
Сквозь грозы сияло нам солнце свободы
И Linus великий нам путь озарил;