Peter,

by recording do you mean recording audio using the line in [blue] or the mic in [pink] jack on the HP MB.

Some have dual Line/Mic input arrangements.

alsamixer will tell you a lot about your situation. Make sure the record inputs are set at minimum.

The MIC input has DC available for electret microphones which you can avoid by using a stereo [tip, ring, sleeve] jack sending audio on the tip and sleeve.

This needs to be sent at low level [-50db] if this is the input you are using. High level will cause the drop out's you describe.

Line level input is possibly -10db which is a lot less than most mixers put out. Typically they are +4db.

again high level is likely to block the input.

A T pad made from 2 x 680 ohm resistors in series with a 330 ohm shunt from the centre [of the 2 x 680's] to ground will reduce the mixer out line in enough to get you in to manageable territory.

I use small transformers to isolate the mixer from the PC to avoid ground loops.

The 'on board' sound on most PC motherboards is average at best, and while HP tends to be better than most, you are dependent on which MB you have, and the condition of the power supply.

What exactly are you recording? Are you close to a transmitter? How good are the cables between the audio source and the record in?

regards

Robert