Hello again!

Remember How I said in my previous email that Rivendell on a Cloud "solved
several problems and created one new one for me (which I'll outline in a
separate email) and could use your input in solving?"

Buckle up, here's that email.

First, a little context...

Subliminal Radio does a TON of LIVE remotes... At least one a week,
sometimes 2 or more... For all of our remote broadcasts, we use James
Harrison's OpenOB (earlier stack from 2016) on a dedicated machine and
capture the audio on a Digigram VX222HR on the Rivendell machine, and have
a couple RML commands assigned to hotkeys in RDAirPlay to stop local
programming, start and capture LIVE programming... Then stop, drop capture
and resume local programming. These have been working flawlessly for
several years now...

OpenOBv4.0.3 has been less reliable in testing for us than earlier versions
and also not very accessible for guest DJs to use to connect and broadcast
live. The less-ideal work-around is VLC and vlc-plugin-jack installed on
Rivendell on a Cloud. We've configured an Azuracast droplet to use as a
relay -- where guest DJs can connect a BUTT client using Liquidsoap+Icecast
DJ credentials on the remote end -- and we can connect as a normal listener
on the Rivendell end.

Guest DJ connects to Azuracast relay and starts streaming
Open VLC in Rivendell on a Cloud
VLC manually connects to Icecast relay URL
VLC to Jack patches are defined in QJackCtl
Stream connectes
VLC output patches itself to JACK input -- Rivendell_0:Record_0
Press hotkey to Start LIVE REMOTE ON >> which plays an intro cued up in
RDAirPlay deck 2 >> fades out of previous song in deck 1 >> captures the
sound card and puts RDAirPlay in Manual mode until we finish.

These are the RD v2.10.3 RML commands we've been using for almost 4 years
to turn LIVE audio capture ON / OFF. For testing in Rivendell on a Cloud,
I've re-created them in a clean v3 database, not a converted DB.

LIVE  REMOTE ON
001 PM3!
002 PS 0 0 250!
003 PN 1!
004 ST 0 1 1!
005 PS 0 40000!
006 LB LIVE REMOTE BROADCAST!

001 puts RDAirPlay into manual mode
002 fades current element, otherwise, RDAirPlay plays audio to end of file
instead of segue marker and trainwrecks with intro
003 plays intro for live broadcast
004 captures analog audio from Digigram VX222HR
005 waits 40 seconds so that live remote intro doesn't get clipped
006 displays LIVE mode

Everything WORKS up to this point... Then goes to hell in a handbag. You
don't notice it until you try to hit the hotkey to get out of a LIVE remote
broadcast and realize that the LIVE REM OFF RML hotkey is unresponsive. Oh,
and RDLibrary is EMPTY and the logs disappear from RDLogEdit even though
the active log is still visible in RDAirPlay... You can manually hit the
next element in the log, but the LIVE capture is STILL LIVE so it's a
disaster.

This problem occurs immediately after executing LIVE REMOTE *ON*. Seems
related to the database since the library disappears, but some functions
still work (like RDAdmin, RDLogManager). I thought maybe the LIVE REM ON
RML was killing MariaDB, but restarting MariaDB fails to make any
difference. I've tried changing the order and deleting some of the commands
in each RML with the same results. The only way to get out (and get the
library back) is a reboot.

This is what the RML to get out of LIVE programming and back to local looks
like:

LIVE REM OFF
001 PM 2!
002 LB BACK TO LOCAL!
003 PN 1!
004 SP 1500!
005 SR 0 1 1!

001 puts RDAirPlay back in automatic mode
002 updates mode
003 plays next element cued up in deck 1
004 sleeps for 1.5 seconds (can't remember why... wtf?)
005 drops soundcard capture from RDAirPlay input

*What do you guys think? Is this a bug in RDv3 RML commands? Something
specific to installing Rivendell on a VPS? Or... aliens?*

For now, still testing Rivendell on a Cloud. If we can resolve this issue,
we can move our whole Rivendell install from hardware based automation, to
cloud based! Ideally, we'd like to get OpenOBv4 working reliably for higher
quality remotes and automated connections -- and also tweak some of the RML
commands if there's a cleaner way to do what we need.

A few people reached out asking if I documented the steps to build
Rivendell on a Cloud... I haven't *yet, *but plan to*.* I'll cook up a
recipe from my notes and post them in the near future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you 🙏

--
Brandon Anjeleno