I don't think there's a reason to share the MySQL database among the
Rivendell workstations - only the database server needs direct access to
it.  The Rivendell workstations will use an IP connection to the server for
their database accesses..

Although NFS can provide file locks, a database server needs much finer
serialization controls.  That's one reason why I/O accesses are done in the
server. And then there's that whole accidental deletion or mangling
possibility, which I suspect is what's making Fred twitch. <smile>