Hi Chris,

On 7/1/20 1:04 PM, Sojo Gold wrote:
Hi,
My clocks don't line up to Top of the Hour. I have tried many different 'average' event durations to try and get Top of Hour ID event to be on time.
Following the Operations Manual for RD 3.4.0 I still cannot get this right.

Do each of the library music files need to have segue markers for this to happen.

My clock:
ToH event (17sec) set to 'Timed start' - 'Make next' -   Transition: Play.
Next Music event start: 00:17:00 - end: 03:00:00 - Transition: Segue
Next Music event start: 03:00:00 - end: 06:00:00 - Transition: Segue
+ x18 @ 3mins - Transition: Segue
Last Music event: start: 57:00:00 - end: 59:59:00 - Transition: Segue

Have also attempted to get the ToH event manually cued up and started manually.

There are a couple different ways to have Rivendell line up to the top of the hour. Robert's suggestion, though complex, is a good one. Unless you have an audio card that can "time shift" the audio, every solution I've seen has some complexity involved.

Even though you have set the transitions to "Segue", Rivendell won't do any cross fading unless you set the "Segue Markers" in each Cart. You can run the batch processor app "rdmarkerset" on the command line to do this; use "man rdmarkerset" to read the detailed instructions.

Another way to guarantee hitting the top of the hour is to fade down the last item in the current hour and hit the top of the next hour. I use a "timer log" in the Aux Log 1 log machine to do this. This "timer log" contains a single Event (with a "STOP" transition) that runs a few seconds before the top of the hour. That Event would contain a Macro Cart with a series of Macros that do something like the following:

 - MD 0 -20 5000! (fade [duck] the Main Log to -20dB over five seconds)
 - SP 5000!       (sleep for five seconds while the fade runs)
 - MD 0 -40 2000! (fade [duck] the Main Log to -40dB over two seconds)
 - SP 2500!       (sleep for 2.5 seconds)
 - PS 1!          (stop the Main Log)
 - MD 0 0 10!     ("unfade" [unduck?] the Main Log over 10 ms)

The Main Log ToH Event also needs to have a STOP transition so that RDAirPlay can come to a complete stop for the transition.

This method is "intrusive" since listeners never get to hear the last track in an hour, but it reliably times out every hour without the expensive "time shifting" hardware.

I'm sure there are other ways to hit the top of the hour...

  ~David Klann
--
  ~David