Hey Tom,

On 7/17/20 11:16 AM, Tom Van Gorkom wrote:
I need to upgrade our CentOS 6.9 servers to v7 and these "servers" are getting old. I debated whether to upgrade the MB and CPU or buy a Dell T40 or T140 Xeon basic server to save time and avoid compatibility issues. Is this an overkill?

Any suggestions on what the Rivendell server needs to be capable of  - how many cores and threads?  My impression is that it doesn't work that hard but system 7 is a bit more heavy.

Not sure it's a direct answer to your question, but here's a reference point for you:

In my lab, I'm running Rivendell 3.4.0 on CentOS 7.8.2003 (up to date). Rivendell apps include:

 - RDAirPlay playing Logs from Service "Production" (with PyPAD sending
   Now Playing data to an external Icecast server)
 - rdvairplay ("headless") playing Logs from Service "alternate"
 - JACK routing the audio
 - Calf Rack processing the audio
 - liquidsoap feeding an external Icecast server
 - GlassGUI/GlassCoder feeding an external Icecast server
 - 8 Rivendell dropboxes occasionally ingesting audio files

The hardware is an ASRock (Q1900-ITX) motherboard with a 4-core Intel Celeron CPU with 4GB RAM, and /var/snd on a USB 3 500GB hard drive. The OS "disk" is a 120GB KINGSTON SA400S3 SSD.

I generate Logs daily and the process takes only a few seconds.

I feel like I'm pushing this system pretty hard: 5-minute load average is ranges between 3.5 to 4.5. Oh, it's also a fanless setup. I've been running this motherboard/CPU/RAM/Hard drive combination since 2017, so I expect I'll replace it sometime soon.

Hope this helps in your decision process!

--
  ~David Klann