Hi,

Some interesting ideas here.  One thing that I would say is that we are not all
networking experts.  I have to admit that some of the stuff you are talking
about goes over my head.  I've not had cause to look at AD in any scope.  Would
it be possible to point us in the direction of a useful (in this context)
Samba4 AD beginners primer to get started?

Thanks

Andy

---- On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 09:03:25 +0000 Alejandro olivan Alvarez
<alejandro.olivan.alva...@gmail.com> wrote ----

Hi list.

I've been reading this very interesting case of vulnerability
      exploit ending in disaster, in a Linux environment... with Samba
      around the mess. I would like just to share some thoughts

My partners of Automation dptm. that work with Win Based
      Automation systems, do often face the need to bypass security
      measures/restrictions self-imposed by Win systems regarding its
      native samba versions and policies. The root problem being that,
      often, for the shake of simplicity and usability, the whole system
      relies on usage of samba version bellow 4, often they need to work
      with NAS devices using smb v1 in guest mode, or very basic
      workgroup protection, not to mention absolute lack of Active
      Directory. They often need to edit Windows regedit to enable older
      protocols of Samba in order to work... The think is: the trend of
      enforcing Samba v4 with either MS AD or Samba4 AD is there for
      good reason, there're many vulnerabilities found around CIFS/SMB
      protocols along the times, and its very sad that ends up affecting
      our beloved Linux ecosystem.

Since inter-operation with Windows machines is a very probable
      use-case to be found for Rivendell deployments (typically
      Dropboxes) I'm wondering whether a good practice for a
      professional setup would be to look for a tighter integration
      between Rivendell and Samba4 AD and or MS AD as part of Rivendell
      install (this is, at Linux OS underlying levels, already done and
      commented in this mailing list) specially when no MS AD is
      present, so Rivendell server could get the role of AD Server,
      integrate its Users database with samba, and enforce Samba v4
      protocol around (My guess is that, eventually, an existing MS AD
      could setup Rivendell Samba4 Domain as a trusted domain in a
      domain forest, so they could co-exist and co-operate)

Good luck.